- What Accessories do I need for Stone Cladding Panels internally and externally?
Whether it is stone wall cladding for an exterior or interior wall cladding, the products you will need will remain the same. Likestone supply all the products below:
Stone Cladding Adhesive
high bonding properties to stick the stone cladding to the surface
Stone Cladding Sealer
to protect the stone cladding from weathering and dirt absorption.
Note: Sealer is not always needed. Please check with your qualified installer for advice or alternatively, contact us at email@example.com
To ensure better adhesion to the surface
- What Accessories do I need for Brick Slips?
Brick slips can be used internally to create a faux brick wall, a brick fireplace or brick veneer. Alternatively, brick slips when used externally create a beautiful brick house, brick effect bbq or external brick cladding. In each case you will need the following accessories which Likestone supply at very competitive prices.
Brick Slip Adhesive
high bonding properties to stick the stone cladding to the surface
Grey or off white mortar, normally 10mm, is used in the joints to allow for natural expansion
To ensure better adhesion to the surface
- Spacers (10mm advisable)
To provide even spacing between bricks vertically and horizontally
- Pointing bags
Similar to icing bags but used to dispense pointing mortar evenly between joints.
- Pointing brush
Used to brush off excess pointing mortar
Creates an invisible layer which helps to protect the finish of the brick slip from environmental factors such as dirt
- What are the benefits of using brick cladding on Garden walls?
Brick effect tiles or as they are better known, brick cladding is very cost effective and easy to install. Wall cladding in general, eliminates the need to paint and repaint every year making them low maintenance. Another significant benefit with using brick cladding is that they are a natural product which allows them to blend beautifully with the natural environment.
- What are the benefits of using stone cladding panels on Garden Walls?
Stone effect tiles or as they are better known, stone cladding panels are very cost effective and easy to install. Wall cladding in general, eliminates the need to paint and repaint every year making them low maintenance. Stone Cladding panels are perfect to create stone wall boundaries, stone entrance piers or gates, or alternatively as a stone cladding feature to any building, large or small.
- What are the benefits of using Natural Stone Panels on Garden Walls?
Natural Stone Panels are available in a multipack cladding system which reduces the look of regular joints creating a beautiful random stone face. Just like other wall cladding systems, natural stone panels eliminate the need to paint and repaint every year making them low maintenance. Another significant benefit with using natural stone panels is that they are a natural product which allows them to blend beautifully with the natural environment.
Other uses for Likestone Products
- Where else in my home could I use Likestone stone and brick cladding products?
- Feature Walls – brick veneer staircase walls, stone cladded living area, faux brick bedroom walls, bathroom walls finished in stone cladding panels, etc
- Fireplaces – Using stone around a fireplace creates an amazing focal point in any room. Whether you are using natural stone cladding or creating a stone veneer effect, the end result is a beautiful stone fireplace or stone cladded stove surround.
- Garden Walls – exterior stone cladding is considered to be an authentic irish feature creating naturally cladded stone entrance walls and brick veneer boundary walls, courtyard walls etc
- Kitchen Walls – brick slips in particular create the look of an original brick wall when used around the clean lines of contemporary kitchen cabinets, stone effect tiles when used behind a stove or as a backdrop to the dining area bring a sense of authenticity and warmth.
- Front façade – stone and brick cladding products will enhance the external look of your home or building by accenting entrance ways and porches. It is often an option to clad the entirety of your home or building by creating an external stone or brick envelope.
- BBQ areas – Thin brick slips or building brick are a perfect option for bbq areas or bbq pits. The thermal properties of both products allow them to sustain the heat that may be emitted.
- Water features – walls bordering planted areas or water features such as ponds can easily be finished with stone cladding panels or even natural stone panels blending seamlessly with the remainder of the garden.
Brick and Stone Cladding Ideas for internal feature walls
- Fireplace or stove surround using salvaged thin brick slips or natural stone panels
- Brick cladding tiles such as Virgina tumbled and blended on Kitchen walls
- Bedroom/bathroom/living room feature walls using white brick effect cladding
- Natural Stone Cladding Entrance Porch
- Staircase wall finished with Moscow brick slip veneer
- Feature walls in a café or restaurant displaying a faux brick finish
- Office areas with reclaimed brick slips
- Brick and Stone Cladding Ideas for external feature walls
- Front facades of existing buildings can be refaced using faux brick or stone veneer products
- New Buildings can display cladding bricks or brick veneer as a feature or an overall finish.
- Stone and brick cladding used on Entrance and boundary walls
- Garden walls cladded with thin brick slips or stone panels
- Reclaimed brick veneer BBQ areas
- Accent brick or brick effect porches
- Brick Chimneys and stone effect chimneys
- Stone faced or brick faced Retaining walls
- What are the advantages of using brick slips as an internal feature?
A feature wall finished with brick slips is considerably low maintenance compared to repainting or wallpapering regularly. This makes it cost effective as a once off payment. The rustic finish achieved with natural brick slips can emphasise contemporary design. Each brick slip is individual which allows our customers to mix different types of brick slips together, giving an endless amount of options. Traditional design tends to also favour natural products due to the non-manufactured look of the veneer or faux brick wall.
- What are the advantages of using stone cladding panels as an internal feature?
Stone cladding panels used as an interior feature is considerably low maintenance compared to repainting or wallpapering regularly. This makes it cost effective as a once off payment. The textured finish of stone cladding panels creates a beautiful backdrop or focal point wherever it is used.
- What is the difference between manufactured stone panels and natural stone cladding panels?
Advantages of Manufactured Stone Panels
- Easier to install cutting down on labour costs
- Better priced alternative to natural stone
- Larger range of colours and finishes
Disadvantages of Manufactured Stone Panels
- Needs to be sealed to protect from the elements
- Individual panels create a modular effect as opposed to the randomness of natural stone panels
Advantages of Natural Stone Cladding Panels
- Authentic stone finish
- Each panel is an individual Z panel, eliminating a repeated pattern effect evident in manufactured panels
- Hard wearing properties makes it a perfect option for exteriors.
- Does not need to be sealed internally
- Blends with external environment
Disadvantages of Natural Stone Cladding Panels
- Less cost effective than manufactured stone panels
- Needs skilled labour
- Heavier needing stronger adhesive
- Additional fixings may be needed
- What is a Gypsum Manufactured Stone Panel?
Gypsum Manufactured Stone Panels are similar to the skim coat used on walls. This makes them easy to cut with a simple handsaw. Once a stone or brick adhesive recommended by Likestone is used, installation is quick and simple. Gypsum manufactured stone panels are a perfect architectural solution for any DIYer. It is worth noting that gypsum manufactured stone panels are not suitable around direct heat for example, fire surrounds, stove surrounds etc, or for external use. Primarily this product is used as a decorative feature.
- Do I need Corners when using brick slips?
Internal corners normally use standard brick slips. These are either butted together using pointing mortar suitable for thin brick slips, a standard 10mm mortar joint or may be mitred should the need arise.
For external corners, it is recommended to purchase brick slip corners to match your chosen brick slip. Likestone have a large variety of brick slip corners available which are sold per linear metre.
- How do I measure for using corner brick slips?
Note: Internal corners do not need to be measured. External corners do need to be measured.
Simply measure the length of the corner from top to bottom.
For example: If the length of the corner is 3.25metres then you will need to purchase 4 linear metres of corners.
- How do I fix my stone cladding product?
You will need to use a suitable adhesive for your stone cladding. Likestone supply a wide range of adhesives specifically for stone cladding, brick and brick slips. Just click the following link to choose your adhesive. https://shop.likestone.ie/products/accessories/adhesives.html
Also, please see the following video clip for further instructions and advice.
- How do I point out between bricks and brick slip joints?
A sand and cement mixture is used when pointing out between joints. The available colours are white, off white and grey. Colour admixtures can be used if an alternative mortar colour is required.
Likestone recommend using pointing bags to point out between joints of brick slips. A 10mm joint is typically used in most faux brick or brick veneer walls.
Please see the following video clip for further instructions and advice.
- What surfaces can I fix to?
You can fix your chosen cladding or veneer product to almost any surface. Surface Primer may be needed. If you are unsure, please contact Stephen at Likestone for further advice. firstname.lastname@example.org
- What preparation do I need to stick my stone or brick cladding?
It may be advisable to use an appropriate Surface primer depending on the type of surface. Likestone can provide you with a suitable primer regardless of the finish. Primer is normally needed for painted or smooth glossy surfaces. For further information, please contact Stephen email@example.com
- Why would I need to use sealer on my stone or brick cladding?
Likestone would highly recommend using appropriate sealer when using manufactured stone panels or any stone or brick cladding products, particularly if they are being used externally. Environmental factors, such as rain, sun exposure or dirt may alter the look of your stone or brick cladding over time. The use of sealer offers acts as an extra line of defence against the elements.
- How do I measure for stone and brick cladding?
We at Likestone can easily help you with this. Simply measure the length by height to determine the area. For example, if the length is 10 metres and the height is 3 metres, then
10m x 3m = 30sqm
The area is 30 squared metres
- How much do I allow for wastage when ordering stone or brick cladding?
When using brick or stone cladding, It is advisable to allow a minimum of 10% wastage. This allows for cuts or breakages. For examples: 30sqm + 10% wastage = 33sqm
NOTE: It may be advisable to ask your qualified installer to provide accurate measurements for you. Please ensure they include any corners you may need and the appropriate amount of wastage. Likestone can supply any recommended accessories for your project.
- Will brick or stone cladding crack around a stove?
Most brick or stone cladding products are heat resistant, however, it is advisable to check with likestone prior to purchase.
Generally, apart from our gypsum products, all our stone cladding and brick slips are heat resistant.
- Is brick cladding too thick to be installed on an internal or external wall?
One of the major advantages of using a brick slip or stone cladding panel is their thin profiles, ranging in sizes from 25mm to 40mm. Brick slips are the ideal solution for around stoves or tricky areas such as window reveals.
- How do I keep stone and brick cladding clean?
Likestone can recommend an appropriate sealer for your project, taking into consideration the following criteria:
- Is the cladding product porous?
- Is it being used internally or externally?
- Is it exposed to the elements?
- Is it in an area vulnerable to dust and dirt?
Once the recommended sealer is used, the surface can be easily wiped down. Likestone recommend applying a sealer every 2 to 3 years depending on levels of environmental exposure
- Can I use brick or stone cladding on the front of my house?
Yes, you can use brick or stone cladding on the front of your house. In fact, it can really transform the overall look of your house, eliminating the need to repaint every year. Not only is it cost effective but it is also easy to install. Inject new life into your space by adding a brick or stone veneer. Architectural features are easily achieved by changing the finish, colour and texture of any external walls.
- Is manufactured stone suitable for exterior use?
Manufactured stone panels can be used externally, once they are sealed properly, however, natural stone cladding panels can be a better choice as it is aesthetically suited to all natural environments weathering nicely into its surroundings.
- Can I use brick slips with external insulation?
External Insulation systems are a perfect application for thin brick slips. Likestone have worked with Parex and Kilsaran on many successful projects. Brick slips are easy to install and durable making them an obvious choice for all external insulation applications.
- How can I match to existing brick?
The best way to match your brick is to find out the name of the original brick used. Likestone can then provide the best alternative to match. However, if this information is not available, simply send Likestone a photo of the existing brick. We will work hard to find a suitable match. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- How many brick slips are in a square metre?
The amount of brick slips or veneer bricks in a square metre will depend on the size of the brick slip. Each cladding product is sold per square metre. All you will need is your measurements in square metres and Likestone will work out the amounts required.
- How can I calculate the amount of adhesive I need?
This will depend on your chosen brick slip or stone cladding product. It will also depend on how much your qualified installer will use, however, the following is a good guideline:
25kg bag of adhesive will cover 5 – 6sqm brick slips
25kg bag of adhesive will cover 2 – 3sqm Natural Stone Cladding Panel
25kg bag of adhesive will cover 4 – 5sqm Manufactured Stone Panel